Subclass 886-The waiting game

Guest adrianyts

Guest adrianyts

Good day Everyone,

Hello, does anyone here knows the progress of a subclass 886 allocation dates?? I am currently a fresh graduate electrical engineer applying for permanent resident subclass 886.Lodge date 13/4/2010.My sister is sponsoring me,she is a doctor working for 5 years in Queensland.

Sadly, most engineering company dont accept processing visa to be in the graduate program. I have good grades (Honours Student with 2nd class upper) just need this PR to increase my chances.

Guest pippa1

Hi

If your occupation is on the CSL, then it could be a couple of months. If you are not on CSL. who knows?!! I am 886 family sponsored to and have been waiting since Dec 08 and not heard anything (and don't expect to soon).

Hoping you are on the CSL, otherwise join the queue and keep us company:sad:

Good luck anyway

Guest Jane1991

I haven't put my foot in the 886 mud cake yet but here is what I think if it takes more than 3 months then you should go and work wherever you have work rights and best chances of employment ... when you get the PR ... come back

No point in wasting life over a stupid visa label

Jane, perhaps not the best advice. Might be wrong (it has been known!!) but I think if you have applied for 885/6 visa from studying, you are on bridging visa A until grant, and not allowed to be out of the country for more than 3 months in any year, other wise possibly your application is invalid. There was talk of allowing ex students to leave Australia for 6 months, but haven't heard if that has been implemented.

Please if anyone knows the up to date info about this, please pass it on.

It's a hard call to leave after all the time and money spent studying with the hope of PR, so quite a few are just sitting the wait out.

Guest Jane1991

If you have already made an onshore application, you need to be onshore at the time of grant. If you leave and dont want to come back until you get the PR then you can leave and come back in on a tourist visa.

If I was you, I'd appoint a Migration Agent, but if you keep immigration informed you can do it yourself.

If you leave your BV A will terminate but your 885 application will keep being processed. Basically you'll lose your work rights until the 885 is granted.

There is no point making an offshore application, as its slower and will cost you.

cheers

Mark Hoath

MARN 0956672

markh@ausmigrate.biz

Why would you want to work on casual jobs on BVA when you can work overseas in a professional role that is relevant to your studies

There is no obligation to be onshore during processing

Maybe having a 485 and then leaving makes more sense ... then you have work rights and entry rights for 18 months ...

That's really interesting. Used an agent to lodge 885, was told at the time only to lodge for PR. as had enough points, rather than the 485, but it has never been mentioned that you could leave while waiting for the 885 to be processed. No one has ever mentioned that before, and the only comment posted before by an agent on this forum, was the possibility of students waiting for PR on the 885/6 to be allowed to leave for 6 months. Just shows how useful this forum can be.

Not sure prepared to risk of being out of the country, as have no confidence in anything anymore after so many changes.

Guest adrianyts

Good day everyone,

Thanks you for the fast reply.As far to my knowledge, I am on the current updated CSL as Electronics Engineer 2125-13(hopefully, it is still on the list on the 30th April,2010) and have a positive skill assessment from Engineers Australia (i forgot to mention i have completed 2 years of study at Monash Australia.),Health check, AFP approved and IELTS 7. I did everything that the automated email told me to do but the only thing left for me is a CO. I have applied for an online onshore subclass 886.

@pippa1: Thank you. Hope you will get your PR soon :smile:.

@Jane1991: Sadly, i cant leave the country. Heck, i cant even leave the country for my sister's wedding cause the immigration thinks it is not a valid reason for a Bridging C/D...:frown:.

@ramot: Good comment about the changes part. Due to the recent changes in the immigration rules and conditions, I dare not leave the country until I appoint a proper agent advice or a valid approval from the Australia immigration department. In the end it is my lost for my assumptions, better to be safe than sorry.

Guest leojack

hello everyone i read everyones posts abt 886 and very glad to got a mates like u who r also in a waiting game. I lodged application in august 09 still waiting for CO and heard that 886 family sponsor have to wait 2 - 3 yeas is it right ??? guys need a sympathy now haha feel so sorry for all 886 family sponsor. Plz leave any updates for this visa class it will b really appreciated,

Good day Everyone,

Hello, does anyone here knows the progress of a subclass 886 allocation dates?? I am currently a fresh graduate electrical engineer applying for permanent resident subclass 886.Lodge date 13/4/2010.My sister is sponsoring me,she is a doctor working for 5 years in Queensland.

Sadly, most engineering company dont accept processing visa to be in the graduate program. I have good grades (Honours Student with 2nd class upper) just need this PR to increase my chances.

there is hope if your occupation is on the new SOL list!!! just 2 more days to go!!!

Guest adrianyts

@leojack: well, i called the immigration and they said my application will be completed within 1-2 months since I am on the new CSL...i think engineers are on demand because I see a lot of employment for electrical engineers (thank god!!) from the University of Queensland career fair and Monash career fair as well...

I just need my PR to settle down in Australia on a permanent basis...I am thankful for Australia to give me a chance to have a high and prestige level of education, and to repay the country I would work for the country...The reason of me applying for a 886...well, I thought it has higher priority than a 885 visa, but the immigration officer told me it is the same since I was a fresh graduate...

@885: dont worry i am sure you will make it too :)...think positive...let karma do the rest...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest leojack

hello guys, Is there any updates for 886 family sponsers ? which application dates are open ? This waiting is killing. Plz plz plz share your info. Thanks and gudluck all of u

That's really interesting. Used an agent to lodge 885, was told at the time only to lodge for PR. as had enough points, rather than the 485, but it has never been mentioned that you could leave while waiting for the 885 to be processed. No one has ever mentioned that before, and the only comment posted before by an agent on this forum, was the possibility of students waiting for PR on the 885/6 to be allowed to leave for 6 months. Just shows how useful this forum can be.

Not sure prepared to risk of being out of the country, as have no confidence in anything anymore after so many changes.

485 serves 3 purposes.

1) Its bridging visa allows you travel. So when you lodge 88x visa while 485 is also pending you can still travel. You need to make sure case officer doesnt revoke the 485's bridging visa.

2) Buy time to get papers in order. Like skill assessment which can take longer than the remainder of your student visa.

3) Given new migration caps, if minister rejects your PR, your 485 acts as a safety net and allows you to remain in the country and give it another shot.

So its good idea for all prospective applicants to lodge 485 asap, its only 280 dollars and you can reuse the same documents and medicals.

Guest jigish
3) Given new migration caps, if minister rejects your PR, your 485 acts as a safety net and allows you to remain in the country and give it another shot.

So can minister reject 885/886 applications?

I'm saying this because in all changes it seems minister is trying to avoid any damage to onshore applications. Even they stopped the new offshore applications, but not onshore ones.

Guest pippa1

Oh and 2 more reasons to apply for 485

1. You don't have to pay international school fees for your dependants

2. It is also a substantive visa so if you find employer willing to do onshore ENS you are classed as onshore so no extra fee....

If only i'd known all this....arghhhh sigh

Guest adrianyts

@leojack: I am still waiting... so far no news yet... i would rather look for a job than to wait for the immigration...

So can minister reject 885/886 applications?

I'm saying this because in all changes it seems minister is trying to avoid any damage to onshore applications. Even they stopped the new offshore applications, but not onshore ones.

Yes he can using the same power he used to cancel the offshore ones which was section 52 of some act or something like that.

Most people will need TR anyway because if you lodge your 88x visa after 6 months of course completion, then you need to get the TR and then apply. But from what my agent told me, he can and if yours fall in the bad lot then TR lets you have another shot.

Guest Jane1991

It varies from case to case...

Sometimes a person/ student could be from a HR country and the DIAC may request security checks from ASIO or local embassy and that can result in a very long delay.

I expect the processing to get even faster as time passes. Vocational courses are being trimmed and the new points system will trim more OS students and dodgy offshore applicants out. The number of applicants will fall and the backlog will dissipate.

Guest Jane1991
@Jane are you saying they will apply new point system retrospectively?

No Jig . I was just saying that the new point will be stricter and reduce the number of eligible applicants.

I am not concerned about the new points system but the priority processing that applies retrospectively and therefore can be used for prioritizing a certain class or group of applicants over others.

Not giving PR is pretty much same as making one wait for 3-4 years until a person gives up and leaves.

Whats your experience been finding a job without PR ? Is it really that impossible ?

Guest jigish

well i just started looking, so cant say much, but i havnt seen anyone in 4 years that i spent here, who doesnt have PR and have a job... so i think it is hard

Guest adrianyts

@ jigish: The new point system will not apply to existing application and they will process each application based on the system of the date that you applied.

It is possible to get a job before your PR is granted if you have a Bridging Visa A, you have full work rights. I got a friend that is working as a civil engineer as his application is under process (civil engineers are in demand). I also have a doctor friend that is working with the same condition.

My advice for all 885/886 applicants is to NOT wait for visa to make your career moves. I know many people in the past would just wait, which made sense at the time because processing time was 2-3 months max.

Things got changed big time. Lot of us are looking at 2011 or 2012 before we can hear a word the way things are going. Especially with new changes, there is unprecedented number of application from people eager to beat the changes.

So those that applied recently like me, you are in a very very long queue.

Depends on the type of job you are going for. If you are a graduate, then most of the jobs ask for visa status on the application form. You have to tick OTHER!!!! so you are very very lucky to even get an interview without PR. Then if you are lucky enough to get an interview, you are up against all the other applicants who are usually Australian. Unless you have something very special to offer you have very little chance. Hardly any employer knows anything about the bridging visa A, even if you take the appropriate copy of the details with you. According to interview last week, the employer has to check your status every 3 months, so how many are going to bother to employ someone who needs that to be done.

Archived